Apple Crumble Bars
Cookie base (you will reserve 1/3 cup of the base dough for the topping)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour with xanthan gum (we used GF Jules, affiliate link)
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons dairy free butter or real butter, softened, cut into tablespoons (we used Earth Balance dairy-free sticks)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- *plus 1/3 reserved cup of the cookie base dough
Apple Cinnamon filling
- 3 cups chopped apples peeled and cut to 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper such that the paper hangs over the edges OR is tucked in in such a way that you can lift the paper right out of the pan when the bars are done.
Make the cookie base
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, add flour, cane sugar and salt to a large mixing bowl and on low speed combine for about 5 seconds.
- Add butter, 1 piece at a time and continue mixing until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 2-3 minutes.
- Measure and set aside 1/3 cup of the dough, which will be used in the crumble.
- Using your hands, press the remaining dough into an even layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown, rotating pan halfway though baking.
Apple Cinnamon Filling
- While the base bakes, combine chopped apples and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- While the base bakes, add the reserved dough, brown sugar, pecans and oats into the mixing bowl used for the base. Using a mixer, pastry cutter or your hands, mix until combined and "crumbly". Set aside.
- Pour Cinnamon Apples over the hot cookie base and spread evenly. Sprinkle with crumble topping pinching crumble with fingers to create tiny crumble "clumps". Do not press crumble into the filling.
- Bake 22 minutes, then cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Turn off oven and leave covered pan in oven 5 more minutes. This will allow apples to bake without over-browning the crumble topping.
- Let bars cool completely in the pan.
- When cooled completely, lift the the parchment paper out of the baking pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into square and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for several days.