Black Bean Tostadas
Quick Simmered Black Beans (recipe from Minimalist Baker)
- 2 15- ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt to taste I/4 - 1/2 teaspoon
- 3-4 firm ripe tomatoes, cut into ⅜-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbsp or 1 large jalapeño seeded & minced reserve seeds to add later if you want it spicy!
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 - 6 tsp fresh lime juice
- Granulated sugar to taste up to 1 teaspoon
10 Gluten-free Corn tortillas
- Olive or avocado oil
Toppings (adapt quantities to taste)
- 1-2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1-2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1-2 avocado cubed
- 3 green onions green part only, sliced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- sour cream optional
Quick Simmered Black Beans
- Add beans including liquid to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in spices and bring to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, longer if you have time, stirring occasionally.
- Place a large colander in the sink or on a plate with paper towels.
- Place tomatoes in the colander, layer with jalapeño, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top. Let drain 30 minutes.
- Shake colander to remove excess water & transfer contents of colander to a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and 2 tsp lime juice; toss to combine.
- Taste and add minced jalapeño seeds if desired, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste. The amount of lime juice and sugar will depend on the ripeness of the tomatoes so you need to taste as you add more.
Toast the tortillas
- When ready to serve, toast corn tortillas: Heat a just a touch of olive or avocado oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add corn tortilla, swirl in oil and flip so that both sides have a bit of oil, sprinkle with salt and cook each side about 1 minute or two until starting to get golden brown in spots.
- On each plate, place a tostada, top with black beans, salsa, lettuce, cheese, avocado, green onions, jalapeño and cilantro to taste. Enjoy!