Blueberry Crumble Bars
Cookie base (you will reserve 1/3 cup of the base dough for the topping)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour with xanthan gum (we used GF Jules, affiliate link)
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons dairy free butter or real butter, softened, cut into tablespoons (we used Earth Balance dairy-free, soy-free sticks) (NOTE: for a more buttery flavor, use 9 tablespoons of butter)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats
- *plus 1/3 reserved cup of the cookie base dough
- 3/4 cup blueberry preserves
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper such that the paper hangs over the edges OR is tucked in in such a way that you can lift the paper right out of the pan when the bars are done.
Make the cookie base
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, add flour, cane sugar and salt to a large mixing bowl and on low speed combine for about 5 seconds.
- Add butter, 1 piece at a time and continue mixing until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 2-3 minutes.
- Measure and set aside 1/3 cup of the dough, which will be used in the crumble.
- Using your hands, press the remaining dough into an even layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges begin to brown, rotating pan halfway though baking.
Blueberry Lemon Filling
- While the base bakes, combine preserves, blueberries* and lemon juice in a small bowl and mash with a fork until well combined but some berry pieces remain. (*If you want bigger blueberry pieces as I did, instead of mashing the blueberries with a fork, use your fingers to gently squeeze the blueberries before mixing with the preserves and lemon juice)
- While the base bakes, add the reserved dough, brown sugar, pecans and oats into the mixing bowl used for the base. Using a mixer, pastry cutter or your hands, mix until combined and "crumbly". Set aside.
- Pour Blueberry filling over the hot cookie base and spread evenly. Sprinkle with crumble topping pinching crumble with fingers to create tiny crumble "clumps". Do not press crumble into the filling.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or until filling bubbling and crumble topping golden brown.
- Let bars cool completely in the pan.
- When cooled completely, lift the the parchment paper out of the baking pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into square and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for several days