Cauliflower Pizza Crust with Kale & Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto!
Vegan Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- pinch of sea salt + black pepper
- 1 container chopped kale or 1 bunch kale chopped
- Approximately 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp crush red pepper or to taste (Optional)
- Approximately 1/4 cup goat cheese or to taste
- Approximately 1/4 cup crumbled feta or to taste
- Arugula micro greens or other micro greens
- Mix of fennel seeds toasted sesame seeds, salt to taste (I mixed a heaping 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, a heaping 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt)
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 package cauliflower rice or 1 medium head cauliflower chopped (should yield 2-3 cups fine rice once processed)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- Blend all the pesto ingredients together using a food processor or blender.
- Note: I didn't have any trouble blending it in a blender but if too thick or difficult to blend add an additional 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Set aside
Kale & Chickpeas
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan, add crushed pepper if desired and stir approximately 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas and saute for approx 5-7 minutes or until just starting to brown
- Add kale and saute until just wilted
- Set aside.
- Spoon Pesto over pizza crust leaving a 1/4 in edge
- Top with Kale and chickpea mixture
- Top with cheeses
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with arugula micro greens and sesame seed, fennel, salt mix to taste
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until resembles a powdery snow (about 30 seconds to 1 minute)
- Place cauliflower is a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Then pour cauliflower on a clean towel or cheese cloth. Let cool a bit.
- Once cauliflower cool enough to handle, wrap it in cheese cloth or towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure a chewy crust.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl. Add parmesan, mozzarella, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder. Lastly add egg and mix together. Hands tend to work best.
- Form the dough into a crust oiled foil. Pat down well into desired shape.
- Bake in 450F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until it starts to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and add your toppings.
2 thoughts on “Cauliflower Pizza Crust with Kale, Chickpeas & Basil-Pumpkin Seed Pesto”
This pizza is totally gorgeous, Karen! Thanks for sharing my pesto recipe, and I can’t wait to try this with your cauliflower crust! 🙂
Thanks Nancy! We loved this pizza… Thanks for the inspo and pesto recipe! Cauliflower pizza crust is definitely worth a try… it’s a few extra steps but really yummy!