Chana Masala and Broccoli
- 1 small or medium serrano or jalapeño pepper chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 2- inch piece fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 6 tablespoons canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with their juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
White Rice, cooked according to package
1 Head Broccoli, cut into bite size or slightly larger pieces
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pepper, garlic, ginger and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add and stir in coriander, cumin and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice along with salt. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and garam masala, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Serve on prepared rice. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place broccoli in a steamer basket. Making sure steamer basket does not touch the water, place steamer in pot of boiling water, cover and steam broccoli 3-5 minutes until bright green and tender. I like my broccoli tender-crisp. Steam longer for softer broccoli.
2 thoughts on “Easy Chana Masala and Broccoli”
SUPER RECETTE MERCI
Merci! So happy you like it!