Chickpea Salad with Feta Cheese, Serrano Peppers, Kalamata Olives in a Lemon Olive Oil Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- heaping 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15.5 oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions green and white parts, sliced (about 1 bunch)
- 16 kalamata olives sliced
- 2 serrano peppers de-seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice about 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest about 1 large lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not burning. Add onion and garlic and cook until sot and tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat an additional 1-2 minutes or until chickpeas warm and absorbed some of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour warm chickpea mix into a large bowl. Add feta, scallions, olives, peppers, cilantro, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Stores well in refrigerator in a sealed container for several days.