Classic Mac and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour we used GF Jules (affiliate link]
- 3 cups milk preheated (we've used both 1%, 2% and whole milk and all have worked well)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard sometimes we use only 1/4 teaspoon so start with 1/4 and taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- large pinch of black pepper
- 12 oz gluten-free elbow macaroni we used BioNaturae- affiliate link
- 3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
Buttered Bread Crumbs Topping (Optional)
- 3/4 cup Panko or Plain Bread Crumbs we used Aleia's - afiliate link
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter melted
Preheat oven to 350F degrees and lightly butter a 9x9 or 9x7 baking pan. Set aside.
- If using buttered breadcrumbs, combine bread crumbs with melted butter and mix together with a spoon. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt and cook elbow macaroni according to package until al dente. Drain.
Make cream sauce
- While the pasta water boils and pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook, stirring over low heat, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Lower to low heat and continue cooking until thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Season with mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and the cooked pasta to the sauce. Mix to combine well.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Top with Buttered Breadcrumbs if using.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly.