Creamy Tuscan Salmon
- 2 6 oz pieces salmon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved if you love tomatoes, make it a heaping 1/2 cup!
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes (in oil), chopped
- ½ cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (plus extra for seasoning salmon)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (plus extra for seasoning salmon)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley for garnish
Sear the salmon
- Generously salt and pepper both sides of the salmon and heat a deep saute pan with olive oil (approximately 2 tablespoons, more as needed to cover base of pan) When oil is hot (shimmering but not burning), place salmon skin side down** and sear approximately 5 minutes per side until crisp on top and bottom and cooked through.(timing may depend on thickness of salmon) Remove from pan using tongs and set aside on plate. ** Note: I have seared the salmon skin side down first and skin side up first. Both work though it is easier to flip when it's skin side down first.
Make the sauce
- Wipe the saute pan clean as needed (be careful it will be hot!)**, then heat olive oil and butter until shimmering (not burning), and add in onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes. **To make this dish even quicker, use a second saute pan and start the sauce while salmon is searing.
- Add cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Mix to combine and simmer approximately 5 minutes or until cherry tomatoes blister. If tomatoes are not blistering, cover pan for a few minutes to speed up the process.
- Add in vegetable broth and cream. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add in Parmesan cheese and spinach, mix to combine and let simmer until spinach wilts
Add seared salmon to the sauce
- Serve as alongside roasted potatoes, garlic bread or salad or serve over pasta. Enjoy!