Crispy Gluten-Free Vegetable Fritters
- ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour (with xanthan gum) we use GF Jules -- affiliate link
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk (we've used everything from skim milk to whole milk)
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions (white and dark parts)
- ½ cup corn kernels we've use frozen, dethawed
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini, lightly packed then water squeezed out
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus an extra pinch or two)
- olive oil for frying
- If you haven't already, grate the zucchini and let sit while you gather the rest of your ingredients. Then grate the carrots. Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, use a large spoon to combine flour and baking powder. (note, this is a recipe I do by hand; I do not use a mixer)
- Add egg and milk and mix to combine.
- Gently squeeze zucchini to remove excess water. Then add salt, pepper, corn, carrots and grated zucchini to the batter and stir to combine.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering (not burning). Drop batter in spoonfuls onto hot oil to make 5-6 fritters. Use a spoon to gently flatten a little and shape them as needed.
- Cook approximately 4 minutes, flip and slightly flatten fritters with the back of the spatula. Cook another 5 minutes until golden on both sides. (you may need to re-flip and cook a minute or two to make the first side more golden as desired)
- Serve as is or top with sour cream or yogurt and enjoy!