Curried Quinoa Salad
Great mix of flavors & textures!
We are crazy for this Curried Quinoa Salad!
It’s colorful, flavorful without a strong taste of curry, and has a balanced mix of flavors & textures including a little crunch. It works great alongside just about any veggie or protein. Best part is it’s easy to make and can be made ahead of time, so perfect for meal prep or entertaining a crowd.
The recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s Curried Couscous Salad, and it works beautifully with quinoa. The details….Cooked quinoa tossed with finely minced carrots, red onion, currents, parsley, scallions and sliced almonds all mixed with a simple & subtle curry vinaigrette.
Scroll down for recipe.
Curried Quinoa Salad
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Salad, Side, Fall
Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water (err on the side of less than 2 cups, not more)
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup dried currants or raisins (we prefer the smaller currents)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (I've made this with both regular yogurt and almond milk yogurt. Do not use Greek yogurt-- it won't combine well with the dressing)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt (more to taste. The original recipe calls for 1½ teaspoons salt which I found much too salty)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, place quinoa and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to simmer, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Once water is absorbed, turn off heat and let cool briefly. Fluff with fork before using. Note: once cooked, it will be just over 4 cups of quinoa.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dressing ingredients until well combined (it will be a creamy slightly yellow color) and set aside.
- Place 4 cups of cooled quinoa in a large bowl (you may have a little plain quinoa left over) Pour dressing over quinoa and mix well a large slotted spoon or a fork. Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions, and red onions, toss together. Taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Best in the first 24 hours if serving to a crowd but saves well for a few days.