Dairy-free Penne alla Vodka
Creamy, cozy and yummy!
It was a gorgeous summer day but we are back-to-school tomorrow so we are all about the comfort food tonight. By request, dinner was Gluten-free, Dairy-free Penna alla Vodka.
This sauce is creamy and indulgent tasting but made without any cream or butter.
The creaminess comes from silken tofu. Yep, I said tofu. But don’t get freaked out, no one would ever guess! The tofu is blended with the vodka, then mixed into a tomato sauce base, so it’s super rich and creamy. Tastes indulgent and so yummy… My entire family loves it and trust me, unlike me, none of them are tofu fans.
Would love to take credit of this idea but the recipe adapted by my family from a newspaper years ago.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Penne alla Vodka
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box strained tomatoes (we used Pomi 26.46oz)
- 1 6 oz tomato paste (unseasoned)
- ½ - 1 tsp crushed red pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- ½-1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 lb package silken tofu
- ¼ cup Gluten-free Vodka
- 12-16 oz penne - we used 1 12oz box Barilla Gluten-free penne
- We make sauce early in the day and just cook pasta when ready to serve.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add strained tomatoes, crushed pepper, basil and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer. (Can be as little as 5 minutes, but we prefer at least 30 minutes to allow flavor to come out).
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blend tofu and vodka until smooth.
- Add the tofu vodka mixture to the tomato sauce and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare penne according to package instructions when ready to eat.