Recipe makes an 8x8 pan. Double quantities for a 9x13 pan.
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour we used GF Jules - affiliate link)
- 1 cup gluten-free yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter or dairy free butter melted
- 1 cup milk or dairy free milk of choice unflavored (we've made it with skim milk - whole milk)
- 1 egg whisked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line an 8x8 pan (or 9x13 if doubling the recipe) with parchment paper, or grease pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, salt) using either a whisk or the whisk attachment of a stand mixer.
- Make a well in the center and remaining ingredients (melted butter, whisked egg, milk) and using a spoon or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, mix to combine, scraping down the sides as needed, so that batter is smooth and without clumps. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan, use a spatula to spread or gently rock pan the pan side to side so that batter is even and in the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, then cover loosely with foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until top is golden and a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Gently lift the parchment paper out of the pan and onto a cutting board, slice and enjoy!
- Serve as is or enjoy with butter and/or honey.
- Store extra in a sealed container for up to 2 days, reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm.