Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrots 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 15 oz cans pure pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk I used light coconut milk; for a creamier soup use full fat coconut milk or even heavy cream if not dairy-free
- a pinch to 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper optional but recommended for a little kick
For serving, optional
- full fat coconut milk for drizzle
- pumpkin seeds
- In a large dutch oven or sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering, not burning. Add carrots, celery and onions and stirring frequently, saute for 10-15 minutes, until onions translucent and carrots/ celery getting tender.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, stir to combine and saute 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and pumpkin, stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable broth, stir to combine and bring to a slow boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes or until vegetables tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until carrots and celery pureed and smooth. Alternatively you could transfer soup to a blender in batches and puree until creamy.
- Add coconut milk and stir to combine, heating to a boil again.
- Season to taste and add cayenne pepper if using.
- Serve as is or with a swirl of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds.