Eggplant and Broccoli in Garlic Sauce
Super Easy & Delish!
As you know, we are big fans of stirfry because it is such an easy and adaptable dish. And I’ve made a lot of yummy stirfrys. But this Garlic Sauce is the Real Deal! It is 100% and tastes just like the restaurants.
The sauce recipe is adapted from The Spruce , takes less than 15 minutes to make and it is thick and perfectly flavored. We made the sauce separately, sautéed some eggplant, broccoli and bok choy then added the sauce to the sauteed veggies for a few minutes… A quick, easy and super yummy dish in no time!
Scroll down for recipe.
Eggplant & Broccoli in Garlic Sauce
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp gluten-free tamari (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 tsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp + ¼ teaspoon sesame oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
- One bunch green onions, chopped whites and some greens for garnish.
- Sesame oil, 2-3 tbsp
- 1 head Broccoli, cut into bite size or slightly larger pieces
- 2 medium or 3-4 Eggplant, cut into bite size or larger pieces
- 5-6 baby bok choy, cut lengthwise into pieces
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, tamari, sherry, and ¼ tsp sesame oil in a small bowl, stirring to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water.
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the garlic and cook,stirring until fragrant (around 30 seconds).
- Re-stir the sauce, add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. (This will take about a minute).
- Re-stir the cornstarch- water mixture and add it to the sauce, stirring to thicken.
- Transfer to a bowl or liquid measuring cup and set aside until ready to use.
- NOTE: Garlic sauce will thicken, especially if you make ahead. It will thin out as you heat it up. Can always add a touch of warm water and stir it if in want a thinner sauce.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 2-3 tbsp oil and heat until shimmering but not burning. Add onions and saute a minute or two until just tender.
- Add eggplant and saute 3-4 minutes until starting to get tender. Add broccoli, cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Then add in bok choy and saute until wilted and tender. Cook longer for softer vegetables.
- Add the garlic sauce to the sauted vegetables and stir to combine. Heat 2-3 minutes until warm.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with green parts of green onion.