Falafel Tacos with Cilantro Lime Cashew Dressing
Crispy Baked Falafels (recipe from The Fit Fork Feed), Makes approximately 18 patties or balls.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats I have also used gluten-free flour with xanthum gum in place of oats
- 1/4 cup parsley packed
- 1/4 cup cilantro packed
- 2 scallions white and green parts
- 1/2 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup Latino or curly Kale sliced into thin strips
- 2 cup already made cole slaw mix red cabbage, green cabbage carrots
Cashew Lime Cilantro Dressing (recipe from The Crunchy Radish)
- ¼ cup raw cashews soaked for 1 hour I have done it with less time and still works!
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 scallions white and green parts, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
8-12 gluten-free corn or flour tortillas
cilantro for garnish
Crispy Baked Falafels
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place oats, parsley, carrot, garlic,scallions and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is roughly chopped. (do not over process)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until the mixture comes together. Roughly about 10 to 15 pulses. If the mixture seems too dry, you can add another tablespoon of olive oil or water. You may have to scrape down the sides as the mixture will be thick-- You want the mixture to be combined but thick and a bit coarse.
- Form the mixture into patties or balls, whichever you prefer. We've done both. To make the patties, form mixture into a ball then gently press down to form a patty.
- Spray the patties or balls with olive oil spray and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove them from the oven and flip over and spray the other side with olive oil spray and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Can be made ahead. Store well in the fridge for several days.
- In a small bowl mix kale and slaw. Set aside.
Cashew Lime Cilantro Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until well combined, smooth and creamy.
- Add more water if needed to thin.
- Taste and adjust lime juice or sherry vinegar, if desired.
- Can be made ahead. Keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Heat tortillas in a microwave (under a damp paper towel works best to make them soft and pliant).
- Depending on the size of your falafels, cut falafels into bite size pieces.
- Top each tortilla with kale slaw, add falafel pieces, top with cilantro dressing. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!