Flourless Chocolate Cake (gluten-free + dairy-free optional)
- 1 8 inch round cake pan
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips we used Guittard semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- 8 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter we used Earth Balance dairy-free sticks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly whisked together room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened 100% cacao cocoa powder
Garnish for serving
- Confectioner's Sugar aka powdered sugar
- Whipped Cream or Dairy-free Whipped Cream
- fresh raspberries or strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare an 8 metal cake pan: First grease the pan; then cut out a round of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the pan; place the parchment round in the bottom of pan and grease that as well -- this will help ensure the cooked cake comes out of pan easily.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate chips together over very low heat, stirring occasionally until just melted and combined. Once melted, pour the melted mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, espresso powder and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add whisked eggs and mix to just combine and batter smooth. Add cocoa powder and mix to just combine and batter smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until top has a thin crust and center registers at least 200 degrees F on a cooking thermometer. Edges will also pull away from the pan a bit.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then using a butter knife loosen the edges of the entire cake, and carefully turn the cake onto a cake plate or serving plate. The top will now be the bottom of the cake. Lift the parchment off the cake, and let cool 1 hour.
- Using a small fine mess strainer, sprinkle confectioners sugar over the top of the cake. When ready to serve, top with raspberries or strawberries as desired. Sprinkle them with a touch of confectioners sugar as desired.Garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and some extra raspberries or strawberries. The juicy berries and cool whipped cream pair perfectly with the rich chocolate cake. Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Remove berries before storing.