Forbidden Rice Salad with Sesame Miso Lime Dressing
- 2/3 cups forbidden rice or black rice uncooked (or approximately 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups lacinato kale stem removed, sliced thin
- 1 cup red cabbage sliced thin
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 5 tablespoons + 1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper minced (approximately 1/2 jalapeño pepper, deseeded)
- 1 teaspoon mellow white miso
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Avocado sliced thin or cubed optional
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add rice and cook as you would pasta, boiling for 30 minutes or until cooked. You want the rice to be tender but firm to the touch.
- Drain and rinse until cook water.
- Let cool. To speed cooling process, spread cooked rice on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl add all ingredients except sesame seeds and whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add cooked rice, kale, cabbage and carrots. Toss to combine.
- Add dressing, toss to combine.
- Add toasted sesame seeds and toss well.
- Serve as is, with avocado or along side an additional protein of choice.
- Salad stays well for days in a seal container in the refrigerator.