Gluten-Free Chicken Milanese
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup gluten-free Italian breadcrumbs more as needed, we love Aleia’s gluten-free Italian Breadcrumbs – affiliate link
- olive oil for frying
Lemony Arugula Salad
- 1 5oz container baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil* *this is the ratio of olive oil to lemon juice I use most often; feel free to try 2 tablespoons olive oil for an even more lemony taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan, optional but so delicious!
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved, optional but add a nice pop of color
- Prepare the chicken: Butterfly the chicken breast to create a thinner piece of chicken (and cut into smaller pieces as desired), then place each piece, one at a time, in a ziploc bag and using a cooking mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken breasts until thin (about 1/3 inch in thickness). Place on a plate.
- Set up an assembly line and bread the chicken Set up 2 shallow bowls and a plate... in one bowl add whisked egg, in another the breadcrumbs, and have an empty plate to hold the breaded chicken before it is fried. Bread the chicken: Dip chicken in the whisked egg so well coated, let excess drip off, then move egg-coated chicken to the plate with breadcrumbs and press breadcrumbs into chicken. Important to really press the breadcrumbs into the chicken on both sides so that they stay when cooked. Set aside on an empty plate until all the chicken is breaded.
- Fry the chicken: To a deep non-stick fry pan, add olive oil to coat well (about 1/4 inch deep) and heat over medium heat so that the oil is hot and shimmering but not boiling. (When you place the chicken in the oil it will not be completely submerged, only the bottom half will be in the oil.) In batches, add breaded chicken to the hot oil. (We can usually cook 1-4 pieces at a time depending on pan and size of chicken) Cook 5 minutes, flip, cook an additional 4 minutes. Chicken will sizzle in the hot oil the entire time. Chicken should be perfectly crispy, if you want it crispier, cook an additional minute. Using a large serving fork, remove crispy chicken from the oil and place on a baking rack (with paper towels underneath to absorb any excess oil). This will allow chicken to stay crispy.Repeat frying until all the breaded chicken is cooked, adding additional oil to the pan as needed, and gently removing any excess cooked breadcrumbs from pan as necessary.
- When all the chicken is fried, serve alongside the lemony arugula salad.
- Store extra in a sealed container in the refrigerator (chicken layers separated by wax paper) for up to 3 days. Store in freezer, wrapped in foil, chicken layers separated by wax paper, for up to 3 month.
Lemony Arugula Salad
- If using cherry tomatoes, slice in half, place in a colander and sprinkle with salt and let sit. This will allow any excess water to drain.
- Mix the dressing: In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup whisk the olive oil and lemon juice until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To a large bowl, add the arugula and cherry tomatoes if using, and toss with the dressing. Top with shaved parmesan when serving.
- Best dressed soon before serving.
- Add a piece of crispy chicken to each plate, add a big scoop of lemony arugula to the side and top with Parmesan, add a lemon wedge and enjoy!