Gluten-Free Crispy Chicken Wings
Seasoned Chicken Wings
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds chicken wings and drummettes (they are both included in the packages we purchase)
- oil of choice (we used canola oil or avocado oil)
Optional Buffalo Sauce
- 6-7 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter or dairy free butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Optional Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (recipe adapted from Food and Wine)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice (divided)
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Prefer a ranch dip? Try this vegan ranch dressing
Crispy Seasoned Chicken Wings
- Mix together all the spices until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add all the chicken wings, then pour seasoning all over the wings and with a large spoon or your hands preferably, mix so that all the wings are well coated with the spices. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Using a fryer or large skillet, add oil and heat to 350 degrees F. (If deep frying in a fryer, add oil per the fryer's directions. If using a large deep skillet, add enough oil to cover pan well enough that wings will be partially submerged).
- Place marinated chicken wings in the fryer or skillet in single layer. Cook for 4 minutes, then if using a fryer lift and shake, if using a skillet, carefully turn the wings over, and fry another 4 minutes. As a double check, using a cooking thermometer, the inside done temperature at the thickest part of the chicken should be minimum 170 degrees.
- Carefully removed from fryer or hot oil using a slotted spoon or tongs, and place on a plate with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. If not serving immediately transfer to a baking rack so that they remain crispy.
- If adding buffalo sauce, transfer cooked wings to a large bowl and toss with buffalo sauce to taste. Or serve buffalo sauce as a dipping sauce option.
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
- Add buffalo sauce to taste to wings or serve as a dipping sauce.
Blue Cheese Dip
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup combine milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle and become "buttermilk"
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, "buttermilk", and remaining lemon juice. Stir in blue cheese, salt and chive, reserving a few for garnish. Cover and refrigerate until serving.