Chocolate Chip Apple Muffins
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Flour with xanthum gum we used GF Jules (affiliate link)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or dairy free butter melted (we use Earth Balance soy free sticks)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup grated apple skin removed
- 1 cup chopped apple skin removed
- ½ cup chocolate chips plus more for topping (we used semi sweet)
- ½ heaping cup chopped walnuts skip if nut free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 full size muffin tins with baking cups.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and combine with a pastry cutter or fork. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, add eggs, sugar, melted butter and vanilla and mix to combine and smooth. Add apple sauce and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Stir in grated apple and chopped apples.
- Stir in nuts if using.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Using a large spoon or cookie scooper divide batter evenly among the muffin cups. Top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. TIP: Check at 25 minutes and if the tops are "done enough", cover with foil and bake the additional 5-10 minutes.
- Let rest in the baking tins for 10 mins, then let cool on a baking rack.
- Tip: if there are extras, they freeze well.