Gluten-Free Crispy Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- 1 Personal fryer OR deep skillet OR air fryer (though I don't have an air fryer so can't provide exact cooking directions. ) Cuisanart Compact Fryer - affiliate link
- just over 1 lb tilapia cut into 24 -28, approximately 3 inch pieces
- 2 eggs or egg whites
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour we used GF Jules- affiliate link
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- canola oil or other high heat oil for frying
- 2 cups green cabbage slaw, sliced thin
- 2 cups red or purple cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ cup shredded carrots (you can skip but they add great color!)
- ½ cup avocado mayo (or mayo of choice)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red vinegar
- Gluten-free flour tortillas of choice we used Siete almond flour tortillas
- Heat oil to 365F.
- While oil heats, set up an "assembly line" so you can coat the fish. In one shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. In a second shallow bowl, mix together the flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Dip the fish first in the egg shaking off any excess, then dredge in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- When oil is heated, carefully place the coated fish in either the fryer basket or skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- If using a fryer, remove basket from fryer oil, remove fish. If frying in a skillet, use a slotted spoon to remove fish from oil, and place on a wire baking rack (this will keep them crispy). Repeat until all the fish is fried.
- Can be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator and heated up in a skillet, oven or even a microwave but it won't be as crispy if using the microwave.
- Toss sliced cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk mayo, lime juice, honey and vinegar until well combined. Toss with cabbage mix.
- Can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. For maximum freshness, mix the cabbage, make the dressing but don't combine until day of.
- For tastiest tacos, heat your gluten-free tortilla in microwave or skillet.
- In each tortilla, add a big spoonful of cabbage slaw and 2 pieces of crispy fish.