Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese Bites
- 3 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour we used GF Jules (affiliate link]
- 3 cups milk preheated (we've used both 1%, 2% and whole milk and all have worked well)
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard sometimes we use only 1/4 teaspoon so start with 1/4 and taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- large pinch black pepper
- 12 oz gluten-free elbow macaroni we used BioNaturae- affiliate link
- 3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
Buttered Breadcrumb Topping
- ¾ cup Panko or Plain Bread Crumbs we used Aleia's - afiliate link
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line your muffin tins or mini muffin tins with paper liners and spray generously with cooking oil. Set aside.
- If using buttered breadcrumbs, combine bread crumbs with melted butter and mix together with a spoon. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt and cook elbow macaroni according to package until al dente. Drain.
Make Cream Sauce
- While the pasta water boils and pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook, stirring over low heat, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Lower to low heat and continue cooking until thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Season with mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and the cooked pasta to the sauce. Mix to combine well.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Top with remaining cheese, then buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 mins or until the top is golden and edges bubbly.
- Let cool and set a few minutes in muffin tins. Remove and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- mini muffin tins as I did here and make 48 mini bites.
- full size muffin tins and make 24 larger “bites”
- make 24 minis, 12 full size.
- You could even make part in muffin cups and part in a regular baking pan!
- Or halve the recipe and make halve the quantity.