Gluten-Free Soft Pretzel Bites
Easy Gluten-Free Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1½ cups all purpose gluten-free flour with xanthan gum we used GFJules
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt + extra for sprinkling in salted option
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt or dairy-free Greek yogurt we used Fage brand
Baking Soda Bath
- ¼ cup baking soda (4 tablespoons)
- 4½ cups water
Cinnamon Sugar Option
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or dairy-free butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl add flour, baking powder and salt and mix or whisk to combine. Add the yogurt and using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix for 2-3 minutes or until well combined. The dough will form into a ball and pull away from the mixer when well combined.
- Roll and cut into pretzel bites: Place dough on a silicone pastry mat and using your dry hands coated with the tiniest bit of flour, roll into a ball and knead about 10 times.Divide dough into 4 pieces. Then roll each piece into a ball and then using both hands roll each ball into worm like strips, about 8-10 inches long. Pro tip: I find it easiest to roll into the worm like shape by placing the ball on a silicone mat and rolling with both hands. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 1 inch pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Baking Soda Bath: Bring water and baking soda to a boil in a medium saucepan. 4-6 bites at a time, add bites to the boiling water for 10 seconds, set a timer. (They float to the top at the end of the 10 seconds too.) Using a slotted spoon, scoop them out, let any excess water drip off and place back on prepared baking sheet. Repeat baking soda bath with remaining bites.
- If salting them, add coarse salt now while bites are still wet. If opting for cinnamon sugar, skip to next step.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes. They will be golden brown. Remove from oven, let sit 5 minutes and enjoy salted bites, or add cinnamon sugar.
Cinnamon Sugar Option
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, melt butter.
- Dip or brush baked pretzel bites in butter, letting any excess drip off. Then toss in cinnamon sugar until well coated.
- Best enjoyed immediately.
Serving and Storing
- Pretzel Bites are best enjoyed day of.
- Salted Bites can be stored in an air tight container overnight and heated the next day in microwave or oven.
- Salted bites can be frozen for 2 months. Thaw and reheat in a microwave or oven. For cinnamon sugar bites, freeze before adding the cinnamon sugar and add the cinnamon sugar topping after thawing.