Green Salad with Candied Walnuts + Fresh Pears
Candied Walnuts (store well at room temperature in a sealed container for several days)
- 1 heaping cup raw walnuts or pecans
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- generous pinch sea salt
- generous pinch cinnamon
Balsamic Vinaigrette (makes more than you might need for the salad. Save in an air tight container to use for the next few days)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- Pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 5 oz container mixed greens
- 1 Bosc or Bartlett Pear or a combination of the two, sliced thin.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place raw walnuts in single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet and toast for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a heat proof bowl.
- Remove walnuts from oven and add to bowl with remaining ingredients. Gently stir to combine and place back on parchment lined baking sheet in single layer.
- Place back in oven and bake for another 4-6 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Store extra walnuts in an a well sealed container.
- Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.
- Adjust to tastes as desired. Add in more balsamic for tanginess or mustard for creaminess and spice.
- Store extra vinaigrette in a well sealed container in refrigerator for several days.
- When ready to serve, place greens in a bowl and toss with a small amount of vinaigrette.
- Add in pear, cherries and walnuts, reserving some for garnish,
- Toss with additional dressing.