Balsamic Portobello Burger with Basil Aioli
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps cleaned, stems cut as desired. I tend to cut them so they are nearly flush with the mushroom cap.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped jarred marinated roasted red peppers,
- 1 cup arugula You will use 1/2 cup per burger but since I love arugula, I usually double and eat extra on the side.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (or cheese of choice) skip or substitute if dairy-free
- 2 gluten-free burger buns
- ½ cup avocado mayo
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill or oven to 375 degrees F *
- Marinate portobellos: in a large bowl whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic. Add cleaned portobello mushrooms and use a spoon or brush to toss and make sure they are generously coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let marinate for 10-15 minutes (or longer if desired) while you prep all the fixings and basil aioli.
- Arugula: mix arugula with lemon juice and olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When ready to grill, carefully spray or coat grill lightly with oil. Place portobellos on the grill stem side down and brush on excess marinade (and keep marinade so you can do the same to the other side when you flip it). Grill 5-7 minutes per side, grill closed. When you flip the burger, brush on additional marinade. The portobellos will look tender-- the cooking range is because some are thicker than others.
- When you flip the portobellos, put onion slices on the grill and let cook 5 minutes.
- After the portobello has cooked 5-7 minutes per side, flip the portobellos again (they will be stem side down now) and top with cheese, cover and let melt, approximately 1 minute.
- Option but recommended: grill burger bun for 1 minute
- Assemble: Slather burger bun base with basil mayo, add grilled portobello with melted cheese, top with grilled onion, chopped pepper, arugula and burger top. Enjoy!
- Whisk together all the ingredients until well combined and creamy. Set aside. Can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator.