Grilled Shrimp & Corn Salsa Tacos
- 24 small to medium shrimp cleaned, peeled and deveined
- *Vegetarian option: 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained will give you 4 tacos. For 8 tacos, use 2 cans of black beans and double the marinade.
- 8 soft gluten-free corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas
Shrimp marinade (feel free to double if want extra seasoning but a little goes a long way)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Corn Salsa (adapted from Cooking Light)
- 5 ears fresh corn Alternatively use 4 cups frozen or canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp lime zest grated lime rind
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1- 2 green jalapeños seeded and minced (original recipe calls for 2 but I only used 1)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup tomatoes seeded, cored and chopped (optional, I added some at the last minute for color)
- Avocado cut into cubes
- Chopped red cabbage
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush corn with 1 tbsp oil. Grill, uncovered, turning often, until charred on most or all sides, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool a bit then, with a knife, slice kernels off the cobs.
- If using frozen or canned corn, over high heat, add 1 tbsp oil to a saute pan, then add corn and saute for 7-10 minutes or until it starts to brown
- Combine corn, remaining 2 tbsp oil, onion, and remaining ingredients.
- Keeps well so can make ahead.
- Whisk marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add Shrimp and toss to combine. Let sit for as little as 10 minutes.
- Then cook shrimp. If using a grill, place shrimp on a grill pan or skewers so that they don't fall through. Grill on medium high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked through and lightly charred. Alternatively, cook on an indoor grill pan or saute pan over medium high heat.
Black Bean Option
- Combine black beans with marinade in a medium bowl. Serve at room temperature or heat in a small pan over low heat for 5 minutes immediately before serving.
- Pro tip: to soften gluten-free tortillas, place them in a stack on a microwave safe plate, cover with a very slightly damp paper towel, then place in a microwave to 30 seconds.
- To assemble tacos, place red cabbage on base on tortilla, top with 3 shrimp, then corn salsa, avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.