Italian Baked Stuffed Artichokes Hearts
Artichokes and stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs we used Aleias Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh curly parsley
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs we used 1/2 thyme and 1/2 oregano. You could also use an Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 9 oz packages frozen artichoke hearts thawed and drained (or the equivalent 3 cans artichoke hearts)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for the baking dish
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice approximately juice from 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves minced (2 teaspoons)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, cheese, herbs and salt in a medium bowl. Season with pepper to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon) and mix to combine. Set aside.
Prepare the dressing
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and garlic in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
Prepare the dish
- I used a 1 1/2 quart 8.5x 11 inch baking dish. My aunt used a 9x13 inch baking dish. Or if you want a single layer of artichokes, use 2 9 1/2 inch baking dishes. They all work! Brush oil on the inside of the baking dish.
- Place artichokes in a single layer covering the base of the pan, sprinkle stuffing mixture over artichokes, pushing it into the cracks between hearts. Tap the bottom of the dish on a counter to settle bread crumb mixture. Drizzle with Dressing
- If using 1 pan (as I did above), place a second layer of artichokes on top of the first layer and repeat topping and stuffing with breadcrumb mixture. If using 2 pans, repeat as above with the second pan.
- Drizzle the rest of the dressing evenly over breadcrumb topped artichokes.
- Cover dish with parchment paper, then foil, and bake 30 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 375 degrees
- Uncover and bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown, 20 -25 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Tip: Can be assembled a day ahead, stored in the refrigerator, and baked just before serving.