Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour containing xanthum gum we used GFJules Flour affiliate link
- 1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 8 tablespoon butter or dairy free alternative or ghee, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or plain almond milk yogurt (we've used low fat, whole milk and greek -- the greek and whole milk yield a moister muffin)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries rinsed + extra rinsed blueberries for topping if desired.
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix flour mixture into wet mixture until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain, about 1 minute.
- Gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let batter rest at room temperature for 20 minutes (no longer than 30 minutes or muffins will be dense)
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with canola oil spray or line with paper muffin cups.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, portion batter evenly into prepared muffin tins.
- Top with extra blueberries if desired and Sprinkle turbinado sugar over the top.
- Bake 22- 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and let cool at least another 10 minutes.