Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour we use GF Jules - Affiliate Link
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon. salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt dairy or dairy-free
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter or dairy-free butter
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon milk or dairy-free milk
Lemon Glaze (if you aren't glazing all the muffins or just want a light glaze, cut the quantities in half)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line muffin tins with muffin tin liners or lightly grease and flour muffin tins.
- (Ideally) bring all ingredients to room temperature, and gently melt the butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Add sugar to a small bowl and then add lemon zest, working it into the sugar by rubbing together with your fingers.
- Pour lemon-sugar into dry ingredients bowl and whisk.
- In a large mixing bowl,mix yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, melted butter, lemon juice and milk until well combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing only until blended.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out dry and the muffins are lightly browning on top. Pro tip: If the tops are golden brown but you want the center to cook more, gently cover with foil and cook an additional 5 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin tins for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and powdered sugar until well combined.
- When muffins are fully cool, one muffin at a time, holding the bottom of the muffin dip the top of the muffin in the glaze and swirl a bit to cover the top to your liking, let the excess drip off and then turn over and place on drying rack to set.
- Pro tip: Muffins freeze well but freeze without the glaze and add glaze if desired after defrosting.