Lemon Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce or one individual 4 oz apple sauce container
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt or a dairy free yogurt of choice I've made it with Kite Hill almond milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups Gluten-free all purpose flour containing xanthan gum. We used GF Jules.
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini let sit in a colander and drain for at least 10 minutes while you prepare rest of ingredients
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Lemon Glaze (if you aren't glazing all the muffins or just want a light glaze, cut the quantities in half)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 18 full size muffin tins with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, apple sauce,yogurt, lemon juice and sugar.
- Once well combined, add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, thyme and salt with a pastry cutter.
- Add in lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in zucchini and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Once combined, pour or spoon batter evenly into lined muffin tins.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. TIP: if the muffins are looking done on the top but cake tester isn't coming out clean, gently cover muffin tins with foil and bake longer.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes, then place on cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and powdered sugar until well combined.
- When muffins are fully cool, one muffin at a time, holding the bottom of the muffin dip the top of the muffin in the glaze and swirl a bit to cover the top to your liking, let the excess drip off and then turn over and place on drying rack to set.