Mediterranean Falafel Bowl
Crispy Baked Falafels (recipe with a few adaptations from The Fit Fork Feed), Makes approximately 18 patties or balls.
- 2 cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats OR gluten-free flour with xanthum gum I used GF Jules - affiliate link
- 1/4 cup parsley packed
- 1/4 cup cilantro packed
- 2 scallions white and green parts
- 1/2 carrot cut into a few pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
Herbed Yogurt Sauce (makes 1 cup sauce -- scale up or down depending on how many bowls)
- 1 cup greek yogurt or Greek Almond Milk Yogurt if dairy free or vegan
- 3-4 teaspoons lemon juice or more to taste
- 1½ tablespoons dill finely chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped (or more to taste)
Salad Bowl (quantities per bowl)
- 1-2 cups mixed greens or lettuce of choice
- ½ cup cucumbers skin left on,diced
- 1/3-1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ - ⅓ cup red onion finely chopped
- Big scoop of Hummus store bought or homemade
- 3-5 kalamata olives or to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons feta cheese or to taste
- Herbed Yogurt Sauce for dipping the falafels see below
- Balsamic Vinegar and EVOO to taste
- handful of micro greens for garnish optional
Crispy Baked Falafels
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place oats or flour, parsley, carrot, garlic,scallions and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is roughly chopped. (do not over process)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until the mixture comes together. Roughly about 10 to 15 pulses. If the mixture seems too dry, you can add another tablespoon of olive oil or water. You may have to scrape down the sides as the mixture will be thick-- You want the mixture to be combined but thick and a bit coarse.
- Form the mixture into patties or balls, whichever you prefer. We've done both. To make the patties, form mixture into a ball then gently press down to form a patty.
- Spray the patties or balls with olive oil spray and bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove them from the oven and flip over and spray the other side with olive oil spray and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Can be made ahead. Store well in the fridge for several days.
Herbed Yogurt Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Taste and add more herbs or lemon juice to taste. Lemon juice will also thin the sauce. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Keeps well for a few days.
- In each bowl, add greens, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, olives, feta, hummus, herbed yogurt sauce and falafels. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste over veggies and hummus.