Mediterranean Nourish Bowl
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ c tahini
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa prepared according to package and cooled to room temperature (1 cup quinoa is just over 4 cups cooked)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- ½ - 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup chopped scallions white and green parts (approximately 1 bunch)
- ½ -1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (to taste)
- ½ - 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves optional -- I love but my family doesn't so I make it without
- 1 cup chopped cucumber unpeeled
- 1 - 1½ cups cherry tomatoes to taste, cut in half
Pickled Cucumbers (recipe adapted from Bon Appetit)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cucumber cut into ¼ inch thick round slices
- 1 12 oz bag or container brussel sprouts halved
- 1 -2 yellow squash or zucchini sliced long ways in ⅛ -1/4 inch pieces, then in half
- 1-2 red peppers or a jar of roasted peppers
Optional add ons:
- Marinated olives
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Add the olive oil by streaming while mixing.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust to tastes as desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix prepared quinoa with lemon juice dressing.
- Add scallions, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper. Toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Stores well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Whisk rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce,and crushed red pepper in large bowl.
- Add cucumber slices to vinegar mixture; toss to cover all the cucumbers. Cover and chill ten minutes to 1 hour.
Roasted brussel sprouts and squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. One vegetable at a time, gently toss in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.. Lay in a single layer on individual baking sheets or bake in batches. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender and slightly crispy.
- In preheated broiler, roast peppers for approximately 20-30 minutes, rotating once midway through, or until blackened. You want them black so that the skin peels off easier.
- Remove from oven and place in a brown paper bag, seal and let cool for about 15 minutes. Then remove from bag and the blacked skins should peel off easily. Slice peppers into strips.
Tabbouleh recipe adapted from Ina Garten