Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups water
- ½ - 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup chopped scallions white and green parts (approximately 1 bunch)
- ½ -1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (to taste)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber unpeeled
- 1 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives halved
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt or more to taste
Prepare quinoa (I often make this earlier in the day and set aside)
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes, the fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- In a small to medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil (or more to cover base of pan if needed) until shimmering but not burning. Add rinsed chickpeas, sprinkle with salt and saute on medium heat 5-7 minutes or until warm and starting to get crisp. You can cook for as little or as much as you like! You could also use chickpeas, not heated in olive oil and salt but I find the warmed chickpeas add a nice flavor.
- In a large bowl, mix prepared quinoa with 1/2 dressing.
- Add scallions, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, feta, warmed chickpeas and olives. Toss to combine with additional dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
- Stores well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a few day