Mexican Rice & Jicama Slaw
- 2 large or 3-4 medium tomatoes cored and quartered
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers stemmed, seeded & minced (we have made this with only 1 jalapeño and equally delicious)
- 1 jalapeño pepper stemmed and minced, include seeds (this 3rd jalapeño is optional, depending on how spicy you want it)
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free tomato paste
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
Zesty Jicama Slaw
- 1 jicama peeled and sliced into matchstick slices
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Juice from one orange approx 1/3 cup
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place tomatoes and onion in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Transfer liquid to a 4 cup measuring cup and spoon off excess as needed to get to 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Drop a few grains of rice into the oil. If the grain sizzles, oil is ready. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently until rice is a light golden & translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic & seeded jalapeño and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add in tomato-onion mixture, broth, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and transfer pot to the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes. Liquid will absorb and rice will be tender.
- Remove from oven, fold in cilantro and final jalapeño to taste. Only one person in my family likes the additional jalapeño so I leave it out to be added individually.
Zesty Jicama Slaw
- To make the jicama slaw, combine ingredients and enjoy.