Veggie Lo Mein Noodles
Easy Lo Mein Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch optional, but we prefer a thicker sauce so add the cornstarch
- 12 ounces gluten-free Spaghetti noodles prepared al dente according to package
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil enough to just cover base of pan
- 1 bunch green onions chopped (separate green parts from white parts)
- 3-4 cups julienne cut or chopped vegetables Here I used carrots, yellow squash, red pepper, mushroom, broccolini, and bok choy
- 1-2 tablespoons mirin
- If you haven't already, bring a large pot of water to a boil and at the same time you start sauteing the vegetables, start cooking the pasta.
- Before draining noodles, reserve 1 cup of pasta water so that you have the option to add into your lo mein if you need. Drain noodles and set aside.
Easy Lo Mein Sauce
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok. When oil is hot, add the white parts of green onions and saute for about 1 minute or until starting to get tender. Add the vegetables. Stir fry until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add and stir in the mirin, loosening any browned bits up off the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk sauce once again, then add the cooked noodles and sauce to the vegetables, still over medium low heat.
- Toss to combine and cook, stirring, over medium heat to let sauce thicken a bit, about 1 minute, adding some reserved water as needed to get the desired sauce color and consistency.
- Remove from heat. Stir in green parts of onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: If adding an additional protein - tofu or chicken - quickly stir fry the protein before the vegetables, set aside, then add back into the pan with the noodles.