Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 heaping cup onion very finely chopped
- 1/2 heaping cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 heaping cup finely chopped celery
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced (for my family, the more garlic the better)
- 1 32 oz box of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 750 g 26.46 oz box Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can + 1 cup cannellini beans drained and rinsed (we often use the entire second can but will mash some of the white beans)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dried parsley or even a bit more!
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt depending on tastes
- Gluten-free pasta such as le veneziane ditalini amazon affiliate link
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add carrots and celery, turn heat to low and saute 7-10 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add onions and continue to saute the vegetable mix for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding a bit olive oil if needed. Onions will be translucent and the entire mixture will be really soft and sautéed.
- Add garlic and sauté briefly, about 1 minute
- Add salt and pepper, mix well and saute about 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, broth and beans, parsley and basil. Stir in well.
- Let simmer on low heat for at least 20 minutes, preferably 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, prepare gluten-free ditalini ( or other small pastas, we like Le Veneziane gluten-free ditalini) according to package. (We cook ditalini separately so it stays fresh and doesn't over-cook)
- Add cooked pasta to each bowl, then serve soup over the pasta.
- Top with fresh parmesan cheese (optional) and enjoy!
- Soup freezes well, minus the pasta. Make pasta fresh each time.