Pasta with Roasted Veggies and Fresh Basil
Hearty, Cozy and Delicious!
There’s nothing more cozy that a simple bowl of Pasta with Roasted Veggies.
And this dish is packed with some of our favorites: Roasted eggplant, roasted chickpeas, sautéed tomatoes and spinach all mixed with a fresh tomato sauce and Banza chickpea rotini, then topped with fresh basil.
It seems like a lot but it actually comes together quite quickly. I roasted the eggplant and chickpeas ahead of time. Then when ready to eat, I sautéed the tomatoes and spinach while the pasta cooked. I added in some homemade tomato sauce (we had some Simple Tomato Sauce in the fridge but easy to make or use a store-bought one), added the pasta, eggplant, chickpeas and cooked an additional minute or two, then served and topped with basil.
If you eat dairy, this dish goes well with ricotta salata or a spoonful of ricotta the way my son likes it.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Pasta with Roasted Veggies And Fresh Basil
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large eggplant or 4 small Japanese eggplant (I sometimes find the smaller less seedy)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 5 oz container chopped spinach
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil - approximately 5 tbsp divided.
- 1 - 2 cups Simple Tomato Sauce or store bought tomato sauce, warmed (I add a cup or two depending on how saucy we want it)
- 1 box gluten-free pasta (we used Banza Chickpea Rotini)
- Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Drizzle Chickpeas with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet & roast at for approx 15 minutes or until just crunchy. Place aside.
- Meanwhile, cut Eggplant into ½ inch cubes and place in a strainer. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for at least 20 minutes*. (This removes some water and takes away any bitterness). *Note: I've skipped this step when short on time and it's still good.
- Toss eggplant in olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and bake at 400° for approx 30-45 minutes or until tender. Place aside.
- Can be made ahead of time.
- When ready to eat, prep pasta according to package till al dente.
- While pasta cooks, heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute or until just fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes or until starting to soften and blister.
- Add in Spinach and cook approximately 5 minutes or until starting to wilt.
- Add pasta, roasted eggplant, chickpeas, and tomato sauce (start with 1 cup sauce and add more as desired) to the pan with spinach and tomatoes. Stir and combine gently, heat for another minute or until eggplant warm.
- Serve and top with fresh basil. If not dairy free, also pairs well with ricotta salata, a spoonful of ricotta or parmigiana reggiano cheese.