Pasta with Spinach, Red Onion and Sundried Tomatoes
Simple, flavorful and delicious!
Spinach, red onions and sundried tomatoes all sautéed in the sundried tomato oil and mixed with Banza chickpea shells. That’s it. High protein, high fiber, and lots of nutrients in one simple bowl. Oh, and did I mention it is really yummy?
We happened upon this dinner accidentally. My son and I love this veggie mixture and had been making it as a side dish a lot. Then one day I was making it but my son wanted pasta for dinner… so I mixed them together and we had a winner! Now it is an easy go to dinner when we are short on time.
If there is one message I want to get across with this dish, it is that eating gluten-free and eating healthy does not have be complicated or time consuming. So go ahead and give it a try… Adjust to taste and add more tomatoes or less onion but the point is just start playing in the kitchen and you will quickly see the you can have a warm, healthy meal in minutes.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Pasta with Spinach, Onions and Sun-dried Tomatoes
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Sundried Tomatoes packed in oil, approximately 10 chopped, feel free to add more or less depending on tastes
- ½ - 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 5 oz container of chopped spinach
- 1 box gluten-free pasta of your choice (we used Banza chickpea shells)
- Bring water to a boil and prepare pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp of oil from the sundried tomato jar.
- Add red onion and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add spinach (it seems like a lot but quickly reduces once it starts to wilt) and cover for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally, until wilted.
- Stir in sundried tomatoes and let mixture cook and reduce while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Drain pasta and add to the vegetable mixture. Mix well, adding extra sundried tomato oil as needed or desired.
- Serve as is or with parmesan or ricotta salata.