Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick dairy free butter or butter softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- scant 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs OR 1 1/2 flax eggs 1 1/2 tablespoon flax seed meal + 3 3/4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter I used Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour with xanthum gum** (We used GF Jules flour, Affiliate Link) **NOTE: If using flax egg, use 1 1/4 cups flours**
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Cane sugar for rolling
- 30-36 chocolate kisses wrapper removed (exact number depends on exact number of cookies or for dairy-free/ vegan optional 1 cups dairy free semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (we like Enjoy Life Foods)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If you are using flax egg and haven't already made it, in a small bowl mix 1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with 3 3/4 tablespoons water and let stand for 5 minutes. Mix again before using.
- Using a stand up mixer or hand mixer, mix butter, sugars and vanilla until well combined and creamy.
- Add eggs or flax egg and beat thoroughly.
- Beat in Peanut Butter.
- In a separate small bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix with a fork. Then add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until combined.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls, roll cookies in sugar and place on prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. If making vegan version, gently use your thumb to make a small indentation in the center of the cookie. (just like a thumbprint cookie!)
- Bake for 8 minutes.* Cookies will be very light brown and puffed. *if you have the time, bake one tray at a time on center rack.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and lightly press a chocolate kiss into center of each cookie, allowing it to crack slightly.
- If using dairy-free/ vegan option, instead of chocolate kisses, melt chips in a double boiler while cookies bake, then spoon melted chocolate into the center indentation of the cookie. Note, the thumbprint may "close up" a bit during baking, so just gently use your thumb to reinforce the indent if necessary before filling with chocolate.
- Cool completely, then store in an airtight container. Store well at room temp for a week. Freeze well.