- 3 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter softened
- 2 cups pecans broken pieces (plus whole pecans or additional chopped pecans for the top -- optional but recommended)
- 1 gluten-free pastry shell unbaked (we used Whole Foods gluten-free pie shell)
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash, optional but recommended for a glossy pie crust
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well using an electric mixer.
- Add maple syrup and brown sugar, beat until well combined and a little frothy.
- Add the last three ingredients (vanilla, butter, pecans) and mix until well combined.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Add extra whole or crushed pecans to the top of the pie in any design or random pattern you like.
- If using an egg wash, lightly brush edge or rim of pie crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes, checking at 35 minutes to make sure pecans not burning. If pecan's are starting to brown too much, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Let Cool and serve room temperature.
- Stays well in the refrigerator for several days.