Sweet, Nutty and Yummy!
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays…. In my family, it’s always been a big affair hosted at my parents’ house with lots of family and friends. The crew changes from year to year but there’s always a core group of us. Anyway…. this is all to say that my mom wants new members at the table to feel at home, so she always asks their favorite dish. Years ago, when I was in college, I had a friend visiting for Thanksgiving and all this person wanted was pecan pie. Pecan pie wasn’t part of our repertoire of desserts at that point but my mom said sure (!) and set about finding the best pecan pie recipe she could.
This recipe came from Wayside Inn in Virgina and it has been part of our Thanksgiving ever since.
It is one of the easiest pies I’ve ever made and it is really yummy! It has a simple classic pie shell (we use pre-made gluten-free pie crusts these days as there are many delicious options) and the filing is sweet, slightly gooey and packed with pecans!
Super yummy! And a perfect addition to Thanksgiving dessert!
Scroll down for recipe.
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dessert, Thanksgiving
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy Free
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups pecans, broken pieces (plus whole pecans for the top -- optional but recommended)
- 1 gluten-free pastry shell, unbaked (we used Whole Foods gluten-free pie shell)
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash, optional but recommended for a glossy pie crust
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well using an electric mixer.
- Add maple syrup and brown sugar, beat until well combined and a little frothy.
- Add the last three ingredients (vanilla, butter, pecans) and mix until well combined.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Add extra whole pecans to the top of the pie in any design or random pattern you like.
- If using an egg wash, lightly brush edge or rim of pie crust with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes, checking at 35 minutes to make sure pecans not burning. If pecan's are starting to brown too much, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Let Cool and serve room temperature.
- Stays well in the refrigerator for several days.