Pineapple Glazed Brussel Sprouts
- 12 oz pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons corn starch start with 1.5 and add more as needed
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free tamari + a few drops more I found like this best with a scant 1/2 teaspoon. Start with 1/4 and add more as you desire
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes you can add more if you want it spicy
- 1 carton or bag of Brussel sprouts ends cut off and halved or 1 package pre-halved brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoons olive oil avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine pineapple juice, cornstarch, tamari, brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes in a small saucepan. Mix well to dissolve corn starch.
- Turn on heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a a low boil/ simmer until sauce thickens (takes 15 - 20 minutes). If not thickening enough, dissolve another 1 teaspoon or corn starch with 1 teaspoon of water and add a little bit at a time). It will continue to thicken as it cools as well.
- Note: Can be made ahead -- it will thicken up, so just gently heat up and it will thin out a bit again.
- While glaze thickens, prepare Brussel Sprouts. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently toss Brussel Sprouts in 1 tablespoon EVOO or avocado oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 30 minutes, or until extra crispy.
- NOTE: we think this dish tastes best when the brussels sprouts are roasted to be extra crispy
Pour the glaze over the cooked brussels sprouts and gently stir to evenly coat.