Pineapple Glazed Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Sweet, Savory & a little Spicy!
We are huge fans of Brussel Sprouts, which is kind of funny given that I didn’t even like them until a few years ago. But now I can’t get enough of them and am making up for lost time. And my son loves them too. Our favorite way to enjoy Brussel Sprouts is to just roast them with avocado or olive oil, salt and pepper but recently we’ve been experimenting with other simple ways to dress them up.
This dish was inspired by a favorite dish we used to order all the time at a local restaurant. Crispy roasted (or flash fried) Brussels Sprouts tossed with a super simple pineapple glaze. The glaze is just reduced pineapple juice with a touch of gluten-free tamari and crushed red pepper flakes so it is sweet, savory, a touch spicy, and addictively delicious!
Perfect for an every day meal or a holiday table.
Scroll down to see the recipe.
Pineapple Glazed Brussel Sprouts
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Side Dish, Veggies, Holiday
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 12 oz pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¼ tsp gluten-free tamari + a few drops more (I found like this best with a touch more than ¼ tsp but not quite ½ tsp. Start with ¼ and add more as you desire)
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (you can add more if you want it spicy)
- 1 carton or bag of Brussel sprouts, ends cut off and halved or 1 package pre-halved brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine pineapple juice, cornstarch, tamari, brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes in a small saucepan. Mix well to dissolve corn starch.
- Turn on heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer until sauce thickens (takes 15 - 20 minutes)
- While glaze thickens, prepare Brussel Sprouts. Either flash fry or roast. (see below)
- To Flash fry brussel sprouts: Use a deep fryer at 375 degrees for 4 minutes, then blot them with paper towels.
- To Roast Brussel sprouts: Gently toss Brussel Sprouts in 1 tbsp EVOO or avocado oil, sprinkle with salt, Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until extra crispy.
- NOTE: we think this dish tastes best when the brussels sprouts are roasted to be extra crispy