- ⅓ cup butter or dairyfree alternative we have baked these with Earth Balance soy free sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ 15 oz can pure pumpkin which equals ½ cup + ⅓ cup canned pure pumpkin
- ⅓ cup water
- 1⅔ cup all purpose Flour with xanthum gum I use GFJules -- affiliate link
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts optional but we always add them
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease or line with parchment paper a 10 inch loaf pan (approx 10x5.5x3)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin and water.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Add dry ingredients to wet & mix well.
- Stir in nuts and/or chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Top with extra chocolate chips as desired.
- Bake 50 minutes or until cake tester (knife or wooden skewer) inserted into center comes out clean. If the top is done enough for you but the center not coming out clean, cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- TIP: if topping with chocolate chips, I find it best to add the chocolate chips about 15 or 20 minutes into baking. If the chips seem to be burning on top at any point, cover with foil to complete baking
- Let cool 10-20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on baking rack.