- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil use only 3 tablespoons for a more tangy dressing
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- ½-1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 - 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters depending on their size place in a colander, toss with salt and let sit for 10-15 so that some water drains, while you prep other ingredients
- 1 cup chopped cucumber, unpeeled I tend to cut the cucumber into approximately 1/2 inch circles, then cut the circles into quarters
- 1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts approximately 1 bunch
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley more to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves, optional I love the fresh flavor it adds to the mix; my family prefers it without
Prepare quinoa (I often make this earlier in the day and set aside)
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes, the fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix prepared quinoa with lemon juice dressing.
- Add scallions, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper. Toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Stores well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a few days.