Roasted Veggies Italian Style + Grilled Polenta
- 1 can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 package pre-cut mushrooms or 1 package mushrooms, rinsed & chopped. Here I used baby bellas, prepackaged.
- 1-2 cups or 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 3-4 small to medium eggplant sliced into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices (the thinner the slice, the crispier the edges will be)
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard or 1 5 oz package baby spinach
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for tossing and coating
- 6-7 Garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Fresh basil and parsley for garnish
- Polenta - 1 package precooked polenta cut into 1/4 inch circles. We used Ancient Harvest.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place parchment paper on 3-4 baking sheets.
- All the vegetables were placed individually in a single layer on baking sheets and roasted at 400 degrees for varying times and with the following seasoning (feel free to adjust to taste):
- Chickpeas- Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder (optional) Roast 15 minutes. Roast up to 30 minutes for crispier chickpeas.
- Mushrooms - Toss in olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper Roast 15-20 minutes or until tender. (alternatively, saute in a medium saucepan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper for 10-15 minutes or until tender)
- Cherry tomatoes - Toss in olive oil and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Roast 10 minutes or until starting to blister.
- Eggplant: Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Lay in a single layer on individual baking sheets and bake 20 minutes, flip, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until tender and slightly crispy
- Swiss Chard or Spinach - heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat one minute. Add Swiss chard or spinach and saute, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes until starting to wilt. Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic, stir to combine and cook another 2-3 minutes or until the greens are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place all roasted vegetables on a platter and top with fresh basil and parsley
- Brush both sides of polenta slices with olive oil. Heat grill pan or grill to medium heat. Place polenta in single layer on grill pan, grill 10 minutes, flip and grill an additional 10 minutes or until both sides crispy Alternately, if you don't have a grill or grill pan, saute the polenta slices in a medium saute pan over medium heat, flipping once, until both sides crispy.