Rotini with Broccoli, Artichokes & Sun-Dried Tomatoes in a White Wine Sauce
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8 oz gluten-free rotini we used 8 oz of Banza chickpea rotini
- 1 heaping cup bottled or canned artichoke hearts drained, rinsed and cut in half if whole (NOTE: Use bottled or canned artichoke hearts in Water. Marinated artichokes will give a different flavor)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil drained and cut in 1/2
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + extra for topping Omit if dairy-free
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley minced and divided
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (I tend to not use a ton of salt and only use about 1/4 teaspoon, feel free to add more to taste)
While water boils, start sauce
- In a large, deep saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute or two or until just fragrant.
- Add white wine and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth. Stir to combine and let vegetable/ wine mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes until color brightens.
- Reduce heat and using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli from boiling water and place in a strainer. (Do not drainer water; use the same water to cook the pasta)
- Run cold water over strainer with broccoli to stop broccoli from cooking.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, generally on the low end of the recommended cooking time on the pasta package.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining into colander.
Back to the sauce,
- After simmering wine and veggie broth for approximately 10 minutes, add artichokes, blanched broccoli and sun dried tomatoes, and cook over medium heat for an additional 3-4 minutes to warm.
- Add cooked pasta and 2 tablespoons parsley and gently combine. Add reserved pasta water as needed. Add parmesan, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
Top with additional parsley and parmesan to taste, serve and enjoy!