Salted Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter or dairy free butter alternative at room temperature (we used Earth Balance dairy free soy free sticks)
- ½ cup tahini well stirred
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature **
- 1 large egg yolk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour we used GF Jules- affiliate link
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chocolate chunks or Chips we used Enjoy Life semi sweet mega chunks
- Flaky seas salt such as Maldon we used Coarse Kosher Sea Salt
For Vegan version,
- use dairy free butter
- ** and in place of the egg and egg yolk use 1 1/2 "flax egg" --- 1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 3 3/4 tablespoons water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- for vegan version also add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, tahini and both sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Then add the egg, egg yolk (or flax egg in place of egg and egg yolk), and vanilla and continue to mix minute, scraping down the sides as needed.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder if vegan version, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and combine but do not overmix.
- Batter will seem a bit wet. Either cover in the existing bowl or move to a glass bowl with a cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. (I've done both depending on my day; I have also placed in the freezer for 20 minutes, then the fridge for 2 hours --- basically the dough needs to chill and firm but there are options!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form cookies into balls. Place them evenly on baking sheet, separated by 1 1/2 - 2 inches. They will spread a lot. Gently press balls down a bit with the palm of your hand or back of a measuring cup.
- Bake 12--13 minutes or until cookies are golden brown around the edges, but still pale in the center.
- Remove from over and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Store well in an airtight container room temperature. Freeze well too.