Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 2 Zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch circles, then half or quarters depending on the size of the zucchini
- 4 -6 large tomatoes seeded and diced OR 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
- 4-6 cloves garlic chopped or minced
- 2-3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil start with 2 tablespoons and add more as needed
- 2-3 tablespoons plain tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional but adds just a little spiciness
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped + more for serving
- 1 12 oz box Gluten-free Spaghetti we used Barilla
- Optional: ricotta salata or goat cheese for serving
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute or two or until just fragrant.
- Add zucchini and cook for 7- 10 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, or until starting to soften
- Just before adding in the tomatoes, start cooking spaghetti according to package. Tip: Before draining spaghetti, you'll want to reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, if using, to the zucchini, and cook another 8-10 minutes, covered if desired (I find it helps the tomatoes cook more/quicker) and stirring occasionally, until both zucchini and tomatoes soft and tender.
- Remember to reserve pasta water and drain pasta.
- Add pasta and 1/2 reserved water to the cooked veggie mix and cook an additional minute, stirring well to combine. Add more reserved water as desired to make a creamier sauce
- Add in basil and stir to combine.
- Serve and topped with additional fresh basil.
- Option, top with ricotta salata, feta or goat cheese.