Shave Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad in a Lemony Dijon Dressing
- 1 bunch of Tuscan Kale center stem discarded, sliced thin (about 4 cups) (I have made it with both Tuscan and Curly Kale but usually use Tuscan)
- 4 cups shaved or thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup tart dried cherries or cranberries Optional
- 1/4 -1/2 cup finely grated pecorino according to tastes Optional
Dressing (makes approximately 3/4 cup dressing, store any extra in fridge)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small minced garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup - 1/3 cup olive oil I switch it up depending on my mood and what else we're serving, but like it best with 1/4 cup olive oil because I like the tanginess of the dressing. Add more olive oil to make it less lemony or tangy
- Combine lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Whisk to combine and let sit for flavors to combine while you prep the kale and brussels sprouts.
- Whisk olive oil into the lemon-mustard mixture.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to the salad as is, or toast them for extra flavor. To toast them, place a small skillet on the stove on medium high heat. Add almonds and stir frequently until just starting to turn golden brown in a few places, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Combine Kale and Brussels Sprouts in a large bowl. Add cheese and toss to combine. Pour 1/2 the dressing and toss to combine. Add remaining dressing as desired. Add cherries and almonds, reserving a few of each for garnish, and toss to combine. Garnish with additional almonds and cherries.
TIP: if using for meal prep for the week, you can prepare ahead, keeping dressing separate and dress at the last minute. Although it tastes great day two as well as the dressing absorbs into the salad.