Skillet Rice and Beans topped with Creamy Avocado
Savory, Cozy and Delicious!
This is a combo we never tire of…. it’s cozy, hearty, delicious and versatile!
It works well on its own with lettuce and avocado as shown here or served alongside grilled chicken or another protein of choice.
And what makes it even better? It can be entirely made ahead and heats up well whether you’re enjoying dinner as a family or everyone is coming and going and needs to eat on their own schedule.
It’s simply rice & beans cooked up with sautéed onion, vegetable broth and lots of yummy spices, mixed with toasted corn and fresh tomato salsa.
Easy to make, fresh and flavorful.
Plus you can keep the 3 “parts” separate until serving so that it is freshest and that also helps in case you are feeding kids who like the rice and beans but not the salsa… just saying.
Mixed together, it is a beauty! Colorful, festive and inviting.
And no matter how you like it, it is a crowd pleaser…. The boys like it without the corn and salsa, alongside grilled chicken; my husband likes it in a veggie burrito; and I love it topped with creamy avocado over a bowl of lettuce.
Nothing better than a dish that works for everyone!
Recipe adapted from Test Kitchen.
Hope you love it as much as we do!
Scroll down to see the recipe and leave a comment if you try it.
Skillet Rice and Beans
Author: Healthy Gluten-Free Family
Recipe type: Dinner, Sides, Veggies
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen, thawed corn kernels, organic if possible
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 1½ cups grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally until kernels begin to brown and pop, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to bowl and set aside.
- In the same medium saucepan, heat oil and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
- Add in garlic, cumin, coriander and oregano, mix well and cook about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add in broth, rice and beans. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and rice tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Gently fluff rice with a fork.
- Add in toasted corn and mix gently.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle tomato salsa over rice and beans and serve.