Soft Baked Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
Lemon Cookies (makes 18)
- ½ cup refined coconut oil melted
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 ⅔ cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Glaze (enough for 18 cookies) (optional-- If paleo, skip)
- 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt. (mixture may seem thin but don't add any extra flour, it will firm up as it cools in the refrigerator)
- Let the dough sit for 5 minutes, then place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the dough is firm. (I like to transfer the dough to a pyrex bowl with a cover for refrigerating but not necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 18 equal size pieces, placing 9 on each baking sheet, approximately 3" apart.
- Roll each dough piece into a ball. Then press the balls down slightly with your palm.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies have lightly browned. The cookies may crackle a little. (with my oven they are perfect at 10 mins)
- The cookies will still be very soft when you remove them from the oven. Let them cool on the pan completely.
- Enjoy as is or when completely cooled dip in Glaze. See directions below.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice with a spoon or small whisk until it is a consistency that spreads, but doesn't run off the cookie.
- Hold the baked and cooled cookie upside down and dip it in the lemon glaze. Swirl to cover cookie top, pull up, let excess drip off and place on cookie sheet.
Store in air tight container at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. If you plan to freeze any, freezer before glazing.